POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : What is HDRI? : Re: What is HDRI? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:17:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What is HDRI?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 12 Jan 2003 13:42:55
Message: <cjameshuff-D66628.13322612012003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3e21b1b3$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Mark Hanson" <mar### [at] attbicom> wrote:

> "Christopher James Huff" <cja### [at] earthlinknet> wrote in message
> news:cja### [at] netplexaussieorg...
> > An HDRI image can be used to store lighting values for a scene, either
> > precomputed ahead of time or taken from a real-world sample. Since the
> > lighting values already exist, it doesn't take as long as having the
> > actual scenery there, it is easier to set up, and the lighting is more
> > realistic than a background from an ordinary image, with color values
> > clipped to a small range.
>
> Where does the scene come from? A scene you've already rendered? From
> reading a few of the posts in p.b.i., it seemed like they were photographs.
> Is that it?

"either precomputed ahead of time or taken from a real-world sample."

It doesn't really matter where it originally came from...could be
generated with a high-quality renderer, could be taken from a real-world
location. If the patch allows POV to output images in that format, you
could generate the images with POV. Then you would have to do the work
of setting up the scenery, but you would only have to do that and render
once, and could use the resulting HDRI map in several other scenes, or
to make a faster rendering animation. Most HDRI maps seem to be
real-world samples, probably because there isn't much rendering software
that can output to those images. I think Radiance can do it, or it might
just use its own RGBE format.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/