POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Ambient different color than pigment? : Re: Ambient different color than pigment? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:23:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ambient different color than pigment?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 7 Oct 2004 15:20:13
Message: <cjameshuff-D4D461.15201107102004@news.povray.org>
In article <web.4162efd0ca2b83faa1fd027f0@news.povray.org>,
 "Budgery" <bud### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> The problem is, I want to use radiosity to reflect the light coming from the
> heated object, but either the object turns pure white before it should and
> the ambient light looks correct, OR the object color looks right and the
> ambient light is way too low.  i've messed with radiosity settings and
> plenty of ambient functions, but I can't get a good result.
>
> Is it possible to have the ambient light turned waaaay up, but not have it
> affect the object pigment---or more accurately, how it renders the pigment?

The problem is the limited range of standard image formats. When you
turn the ambient up to a realistic level, it is far brighter than
"white", so it gets clipped. You could hack a custom transfer function
into the source or use a patched version that includes HDR output and/or
an exposure function (I think MegaPOV has both). Also, you could "put on
sunglasses"...place a sphere with a filtering texture (say, rgbf < 0, 0,
0, 1/255>) to get the high-brightness areas, and combine the images with
the different luminance magnitudes in a separate program.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/