POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Turning squares into a smooth isosurface : Re: Turning squares into a smooth isosurface Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:12:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Turning squares into a smooth isosurface
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 11 Apr 2003 17:26:17
Message: <cjameshuff-D24BE6.17261711042003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <f91a9v40mae692tpohmiaha5dg92al80l8@4ax.com>,
 ABX <abx### [at] abxartpl> wrote:

> I think you misunderstand me. My understanding is that proximity
> (closeness, nearness) can be any function which is growing in
> direction to nearest point of object. Not necessary linear like
> distance returned from intersection test. I do not exclude distance,
> just allow other characteristics to express that something is more
> near.

But your function doesn't measure distance. Again, it measures the
amount of local volume occupied by the object, some objects have no
volume but definitely have proximity. A point is the simplest example of
this, examples of POV primitives would include triangles, bezier
patches, and polygons.

> That's why I'm looking for reference where it is stated that in
> mathematical english proximity _is_ linear distance.

Falloff rate doesn't matter, it is the "distance" part that does. Your
function isn't distance related. It is corellated with distance in many
cases, but it is not a function of distance.

> Can you provide me such a reference?

Any half-decent English dictionary is a sufficient reference. If you are
looking for a published paper on it, I doubt any such paper exists. I
used "proximity" because the word seemed to be the closest match to what
my pattern computed ("closeness" to the object), not because somebody
else used it. I would not have chosen it for your pattern, because it
isn't proximity.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/