POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Fairy lights (PS. I'M BAAAACK!!!) : Re: Fairy lights (PS. I'M BAAAACK!!!) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:27:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fairy lights (PS. I'M BAAAACK!!!)
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 2 Jan 2003 16:33:15
Message: <cjameshuff-D23FF5.16290702012003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3e14aaa2@news.povray.org>,
 "Andrew Coppin" <orp### [at] btinternetcom> wrote:

> Anyway, I've been wondering about something... I love lights on Christmas
> trees. And my dad has more sets of lights than you can shake a VERY big
> stick at!! I've been thinking about trying to simulate some with POVRay, but
> I already know it's not going to be easy. The question is... Why do bright
> lights have an "aura" around them? I mean, you can see a fairy lights from
> quite a distance, considering how tiny they are. If I try and draw them with
> POVRay they'll be smaller than a single pixel... but in the real world they
> have a kind of "glare" around them which takes up more space and makes it
> easier to see them from a distance (when they're lit!) Is there some
> physical explaination for this?

No physical explanation at all, it's magic.

Ok, this is mainly caused by scattering in the air and in the eye. Put a
little scattering media (types 2, 3, or 4) in the scene, and light
sources will become visible. Or use the glow patch.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/