POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Turning squares into a smooth isosurface : Re: Turning squares into a smooth isosurface Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:13:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Turning squares into a smooth isosurface
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 8 Apr 2003 17:18:33
Message: <cjameshuff-CF57FE.17174208042003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <8hr59voc6g4am2j1uhcmlti3nffc80pcj1@4ax.com>,
 ABX <abx### [at] abxartpl> wrote:

> Sadly I'm not language expert but I looked into my dictionary and I think used
> algorithm fits in both.

Proximity
n. The state or fact of being near or next; nearness.

The proximity pattern uses the minimum or average distance to the
surface of the object, in other words, nearness. Your function returns a
value based on the volume of nearby space taken up by the object, which
is not at all the same thing. You can have proximity to flat objects
like triangles, or even single points, but they have no volume and will
be invisible to your function, which is closer to a convolution blur
matrix. A point 100 units from a triangle will be the same as one
immediately next to the triangle with your function.

"blur" or "smooth" would be accurate terms for describing your function,
"proximity" is not.

> Sorry if it bother you but http://news.povray.org/search/?s=blur does
> not return as precise answer as I wanted express.

http://news.povray.org/search/?s=proximity only gives something close
because of the wrong term being used to describe the function.
http://news.povray.org/povray.text.scene-files/22075/ would be better.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/