POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Waterdrops on Glass... How? : Re: Waterdrops on Glass... How? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:26:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Waterdrops on Glass... How?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 14 Jan 2003 23:08:49
Message: <cjameshuff-CCD54F.23083314012003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3e24b2e0$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Tim Nikias" <tim### [at] gmxde> wrote:

> > Take a ray entering a droplet for example: it hits the droplet surface
> > and gets refracted, and is now inside the droplet. The next surface it
> > hits is the glass, so it gets refracted as it should when going from
> > water to glass. It is now inside the glass and the droplet. When it hits
> > the other droplet surface, *no refraction is done*, but it leaves the
>
> I guess you meant "When it hits the other glass surface", cause it makes
> no sense if it doesn't refract when exiting the water and entering air.

No, I meant the other water surface, I was ignoring the case where it
exits directly into air. First the ray hits the drop and goes from air
to water. Then it hits the glass and goes from water to glass, though it
is still inside the drop object it is now travelling through glass. Then
it hits the far side of the drop...they overlap, remember? Since it
already did the refraction for water/glass, it ignores the refraction
this time, and just removes the drop from the containing objects.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/