POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Does no_image and no_reflection cause texture calculations to be skipped? : Re: Does no_image and no_reflection cause texture calculations to be skipped? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:25:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Does no_image and no_reflection cause texture calculations to be skipped?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 10 Feb 2004 19:23:53
Message: <cjameshuff-C09B88.19241510022004@news.povray.org>
In article <40295e27$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Scott Gammans" <dee### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> Here's my question: Should I be able to speed up things even more by
> deleting the texture declarations from the object that is "no_image" and
> "no_reflection"? The thing is, I've tried doing that and timed the output,
> but my results have been inconclusive. It *seems* to be slightly faster, but
> not by much. So, does declaring an object to be "no_image" and
> "no_reflection" cause texture and material calculations to be skipped, or
> not?

The object isn't even considered if one of those flags is set. No
intersection testing is done, let alone texture calculation (which would
require the intersection info in the first place). You would speed
things up very slightly by removing the textures, but only by the time
required to parse, build, and dismantle those data structures: too
little time to accurately measure for the vast majority of cases.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/