POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Object Oriented POV code : Re: Object Oriented POV code Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:17:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Object Oriented POV code
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 21 Feb 2004 12:42:40
Message: <cjameshuff-BF3530.12432121022004@news.povray.org>
In article <40343bd7@news.povray.org>, "Tek" <tek### [at] evilsuperbraincom>
wrote:

> Sometimes I think it's worth reading the manual to find out what it does,
> sometimes I decide I'd rather not know. I don't think OO would make this much
> worse.

It would make it better...as Warp said, abstraction is a key feature of
object orientation. Say someone makes a lens flare include. Internally
it make use of all sorts of advanced tricks. You don't have to know a
thing about that...you just use it as you would any other object.

Say you then decide you want to extend it somehow...make some aspect of
the lens flares customized. You make a new object based on the lens
flare object that does what you want. You don't have to know anything
about how the lens flare object works to do this, you only have to know
the methods by which you can interact with lens flare objects. The main
point is that you don't have to worry about as many things at once. A
side effect is that things get much, much shorter and simpler...instead
of a long string of macro calls and includes, you put a few objects
together.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/