POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Materials that blur : Re: Materials that blur Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:29:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Materials that blur
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 22 Sep 2003 20:22:11
Message: <cjameshuff-BEAA31.20201722092003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3f6f56f8@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
wrote:

>   The blurred refraction trick blurs the background more if it's farther
> away than if it's closer. I don't understand what else you are after.

I think he's trying to simulate scattering throught a material. The
probability of a photon getting scattered in a random direction
increases with the length of its path through the material, and can
occur at any point inside the material. Blur textures only simulate
surface scattering, like ground glass.

This type of scattering would be quite expensive to compute, since it
would involve tracing many rays for each transmitted ray. You could
simulate it by using several surfaces with the blurry texture in the
interior of the object, but POV has no built-in facility for doing this.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/