POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Sphere placement issues : Re: Sphere placement issues Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:29:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sphere placement issues
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 24 Mar 2004 23:22:31
Message: <cjameshuff-BD85D7.23224924032004@news.povray.org>
In article <ds0v50himqspueer4hpaqu3m4nniqll2e0@4ax.com>,
 Oldstench <sry### [at] nocom> wrote:

> ><Snip lots of stuff I do not understand><
>
> Well, no one has ever accused me of being a math wiz, and this answer
> has certainly proven that! I can not follow your answer. But thanks
> anyway!

Well, I tried...what part(s) didn't make sense?

Anyway, I was thinking of a three sided pyramid...four triangular faces
including the base. If you're doing a four sided pyramid, consider the
fact that the top sphere and two opposing corner spheres form a right
triangle, with the two equal sides being equal to twice the radius of
the spheres. The height of the top sphere is the altitude of this
triangle. Through this, you can figure out that the distance of each
sphere from the center of the base is sqrt(2)*sphere radius (using the
Pythagorean rule).

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/