POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : ripples on the surface of a sphere ? : Re: ripples on the surface of a sphere ? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:24:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ripples on the surface of a sphere ?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 25 Apr 2003 16:49:40
Message: <cjameshuff-BB4BC1.16501725042003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <Pine.GSO.4.53.0304251512440.17302@blastwave>,
 Dennis Clarke <dcl### [at] blastwaveorg> wrote:

>  I was playing with chrome/mercury blobs :
>
>  http://www.blastwave.org/dclarke/povray/output/chrome.avi
>  http://www.blastwave.org/dclarke/povray/output/tet.avi

Neither of your movies play on my Mac...they probably use a codec that I
don't have.

>  I figure that the only way to do this would be to tessalate the sphere
>  manually and then add a sinusoidal interferance effect to the surface that
>  would be a standing wave pattern in 3D.  While it may be possible to add a
>  bump map effect in a still frame I wonder about an animation.  My hope is
>  to create a reasonable animation of a sphere that has droplets falling away
>  from it radially first and then downwards due to spinning.

Tessellating the object could work. You could then do an actual
simulation of ripples going across the surface.

If the ripples aren't very deep and don't need to be very accurate, just
a ripple effect is good enough, then some kind of procedural normal
pattern would work better. If they are deep but don't need to be very
accurate, an isosurface with the same procedural pattern would work.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/