POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Materials that blur : Re: Materials that blur Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:18:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Materials that blur
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 24 Sep 2003 09:07:43
Message: <cjameshuff-A15806.09055024092003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3f713be4@news.povray.org>,
 Lutz-Peter Hooge <lpv### [at] gmxde> wrote:

> > Chris has the right idea... what I'm looking for is a material that blurs
> > the image more if the ray has to pass through a lot of the material rather
> > than just a tiny bit.
>
> What real-life material does this?
> IMHO blurring normally only occurs on surfaces.

Very wrong. Every transparent material does this, but with very clear
materials the interior scattering is insignificant. Examples of where it
is significant: smoke, fog, clouds, milk, translucent materials such as
milky glass, marble, flesh. Glass with lots of microscopic bubbles in
it. In most of these, the light is scattered almost evenly in all
directions, so you don't perceive it as a blur, which would require
scattering at a relatively small angle to the original direction. You
could construct such a material easily the same way you would simulate
it in POV, by stacking thin layers of a blurring material. (With
air-gaps or alternating layers of different ior.)

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/