POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : A question of speed : Re: A question of speed Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:19:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A question of speed
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 10 Jun 2003 12:02:20
Message: <cjameshuff-9565EA.10535110062003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3ee5f3e7@news.povray.org>,
 "Thorsten Froehlich" <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:

> > You could probably do something somewhat similar to bounding...do an
> > assay render on the bounding box of a group of triangles.
>
> No, because you would have to be able to keep multiple levels.  A bounding
> box is bigger than the actual geometry.  So only looking at the frontmost
> bounding box isn't enough.

I don't think you understood what I meant. Draw from front to back. Use
single bounding boxes for closely spatially related groups of triangles,
maybe with an oct-tree structure. If the bounding box of a group is
occluded by triangles that have already been drawn (it has no pixels at
lesser depth), all those triangles are also occluded, so no need to draw
them. I'm assuming no alpha-style transparency, because you mentioned
backside culling. Nothing to do with the frontmost bounding box, except
that you could skip the test for the frontmost few levels because they
are so unlikely to be occluded.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/