POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : A question of speed : Re: A question of speed Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:18:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A question of speed
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 12 Jun 2003 22:12:55
Message: <cjameshuff-92229A.21043712062003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3ee6649f@news.povray.org>, Micha Riser <mri### [at] gmxnet>
wrote:

> Another interesting thing to think about is: Why do we use triangles? As
> today there are often tens of triangles per pixel in a detailed model one
> doesn't really need the full triangles. So another idea is to stick to
> points and not store the interconnections of the points but only the points
> assosiated with a normal and a texture. This reduces the memory
> requirements. For the rendering you draw either a small box for each point
> (which is supported by todays GPUs) or more exact a small ellipse. Using
> points as basing privmitives has another advantage: You can quickly
> generate different LODs of models (which is much slower for triangle
> meshs), so you can use a reduced-point version when an object is farther
> away.

Point fields can be raytraced as well...there's an algorithm that
basically uses a disc for each point, intersecting with several nearby
discs and interpolating normals and intersection points. I've been
working on an implementation, but it isn't even rendering plain discs
yet.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/