POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Fairy lights (PS. I'M BAAAACK!!!) : Re: Fairy lights (thanks!) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:19:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fairy lights (thanks!)
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 3 Jan 2003 15:35:14
Message: <cjameshuff-894F5E.15311203012003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3e15ee3a@news.povray.org>,
 "Andrew Coppin" <orp### [at] btinternetcom> wrote:

> Thanks everybody. Was just wondering why this effect occurs. I've noticed
> that when I blink the patterns of light scattering change, so I'm thinking
> maybe it's the film of water on the surface of my eyes that does it...
> Whatever it is, you're all quite right - either scattering media or (more
> efficiently) emission will sort of simulate it.

Part of it is in the eye and on its surface. Part of it is atmospheric:
things look very different in rain or fog, and distance affects things
too.

> While we're on the subject... Why DO cameras get lense flare? Just
> curiose...

A similar reason: the surfaces of the lenses reflect as well as refract.
Light from a very bright source can bounce through the lens system a
several times before hitting the film. That is why they sometimes form
lines of dots of changing size.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/