POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : How does POV-Ray handle IORs between two interfacing surfaces? : Re: How does POV-Ray handle IORs between two interfacing surfaces? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:25:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How does POV-Ray handle IORs between two interfacing surfaces?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 3 Apr 2003 09:29:22
Message: <cjameshuff-7675EE.09295903042003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <web.3e8bb334eee3489b34dff4bb0@news.povray.org>,
 "Retsam" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> I thought of that, but I couldn't figure out how to make it work in both
> directions.  Since a mesh object has no inside, how can I make it so that
> light travelling the other way will enter "glass" when it exits the water?

Use a closed mesh so it hits the glass again. Or don't use a mesh.
And solidness of the object doesn't matter, as long as it is closed.

> Since the IOR engine tracks what it is "inside" of, when it leaves the
> water, it will hit air, and when it reaches the other side of the glass, it
> will get confused, because it wasn't inside the glass to begin with.

This tracking is exactly why using a mesh is unnecessary.

> Is there a way to make surfaces that can be intersected from one side, but
> not another?  You know, so that you can make the glass and the water on the
> glass/water interface one-way surfaces (i.e., you can go from the water to
> glass and glass to water)?  In other words, it would only intersect one of
> the two surfaces, depending on which direction it's going?

The closest thing is inside_texture, which isn't quite what you
describe. For one thing, it won't let you change ior. There is no
feature that does exactly what you describe.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/