POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : For the love of dot products! : Re: For the love of dot products! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:20:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: For the love of dot products!
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 15 Apr 2004 07:48:15
Message: <cjameshuff-72882E.07491215042004@news.povray.org>
In article <407e28a2$1@news.povray.org>,
 Daniel Patrick Johnson <zap### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> But that has a sqrt funtion in it so I'm not sure if the three
> optimizations that run with every ray test will be worth it for the
> number of spheres.

With languages that ultimately get compiled to native code, or some
which get interpreted on a VM, the square root may be significant. In
the case of POV script, a simplification in the parsing of the code is
more likely to help...the cost of the square root is likely lost in the
noise.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/