POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : A question of speed : Re: A question of speed Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:13:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A question of speed
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 10 Jun 2003 09:50:18
Message: <cjameshuff-60CCFE.08414910062003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3ee5a9ca@news.povray.org>,
 sascha <sas### [at] userssourceforgenet> wrote:

> I agree with you that raytracing would be the winner if there were *a
> lot* of primitives which appear smaller than a single pixel so that
> their bounding-boxes will never get hit by a ray - but usually both,
> REYES and game-engines use some sort of level-of-detail optimizations to
> prevent this scenario...

The shapes don't need to appear smaller than a pixel, they just need to
have another shape be hit in front of their bounds so the bounded shape
isn't tested. If you have a lot of shapes partially or totally obscured
by other shapes, raytracing gets better by testing fewer shapes while
scanlining stays about the same, having to draw the same number of
triangles and shade the same number of pixels.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/