POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Finding an object=B4s location : Re: Finding an object=B4s location Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:20:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Finding an object=B4s location
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 21 Nov 2003 14:29:56
Message: <cjameshuff-4B66F6.14243821112003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3fbb018b@news.povray.org>,
 Steely <rob### [at] hamburgde> wrote:

> > The min_extent() function returns the lower-left-front corner of the
> > bounding box of the object, the max_extent() function returns the
> > upper-right-back corner. The documentation explains this fully, I
> > suggest you read it again.
>
> HmHmmHmmm ... If You wanted to name me whatever You succeeded.

Er, thank you?

> You also managed to quote the docs correctly. How about answering the
> question next time?

I did. Your exact question has no answer, because the question itself is
nonsense, but I gave you two ways of accomplishing your apparent goal.
To repeat myself: there is no magic way of getting the object's
"location", because in general, there is no such thing. What's the
location of a person? Their center of mass? The point in between the
centers of area of their feet? Or even simpler: what's the location of a
triangle? A triangle has at least twenty known "centers", starting with
the incenter, centroid, circumcenter, and orthocenter, and your desired
"location" may be none of these.
(http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Center.html,
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/TriangleCenter.html)

Instead of some mysterious location value, you can get an approximation
of the extents of the object along each axis, or pick a point to call
the location of the object and transform that point with the same
transform you applied to the object.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/