POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Re: What is the frontside of a triangle? : Re: What is the frontside of a triangle? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:34:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What is the frontside of a triangle?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 8 Jul 2003 13:03:34
Message: <cjameshuff-498B38.12010308072003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3f0af44b@news.povray.org>, "Jaap Frank" <jjf### [at] xs4allnl>
wrote:

> can anyone tell me how POV decide what the front or back side
> of a triangle is?

It does it by taking the cross product of two sides of the triangle. The
"front" or "outside is determined by the order of the vertices.
"triangle {A, B, C}" faces in the opposite direction of  "triangle {A,
C, B}".

I think the side from which the vertices appear to wind counterclockwise
is the one that is "outside", but you should test it to be sure.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/