POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : What is HDRI? : Re: What is HDRI? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:32:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What is HDRI?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 14 Mar 2003 13:13:59
Message: <cjameshuff-306B80.13141114032003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3e6e63ac$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Mark Hanson" <mar### [at] attbicom> wrote:

> > HDRI is just the BITMAP, nothing more.
> > Its higher dynamics & lower bounds on intensity clamping give you
> > opportunity to use it as a source of data which is more real than
> > clamped & more discretized RGB map such PNG,BMP etc.
>
> I'm mildly flattered that you imagine that I could understand that.

Ordinary images store intensity percentages. You can have from 0% to
100% intensity, with 100% being "white", anything brighter gets chopped
off. HDRI doesn't have that limitation, it keeps more information which
makes it useful in processing and rendering calculations even if it
can't be displayed.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/