POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : What is HDRI? : Re: What is HDRI? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:27:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What is HDRI?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 11 Jan 2003 15:59:46
Message: <cjameshuff-2AF9BB.15493311012003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3e205225$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Mark Hanson" <mar### [at] attbicom> wrote:

> I've been away from playing with Pov-Ray for a few years, so I haven't heard
> about this utility. Some of the pictures I've seen in p.b.i. are stunning --
> they look like photographs. I'm certainly not looking for advice on how to
> use it (I'm back up to the point where I can make a scene with spheres and
> boxes without screwing up :-) ), just a sort of basic explanation of what it
> is, and how it works. Thanks.

Basically, to make a really realistic scene, it helps for your objects
to have realistic surroundings and lighting, especially for things like
reflections. You can construct this environment entirely in the
computer, having the computer actually simulate the entire scene, but
this takes memory, computation time, and is difficult or just time
consuming.

HDRI means High Dynamic Range Image. Usually, image color values are
percentages, you can have 0%, 100%, and steps in between. Of course, in
reality, there is no "100% brightness", it is just a compromise for what
our display devices can show. High dynamic range images store
intensities instead of percentages, and can store values brighter than
"white".

An HDRI image can be used to store lighting values for a scene, either
precomputed ahead of time or taken from a real-world sample. Since the
lighting values already exist, it doesn't take as long as having the
actual scenery there, it is easier to set up, and the lighting is more
realistic than a background from an ordinary image, with color values
clipped to a small range.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/