POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Media transparency? : Re: Media transparency? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:22:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media transparency?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 12 Feb 2004 11:13:59
Message: <cjameshuff-2911C1.11142212022004@news.povray.org>
In article <402b0c90@news.povray.org>,
 "Maurya Shah" <mau### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> 1) Hermite interpolation - its better because it gives smoother
> interpolation and uses more information

Interpolation of what? Is this some kind of spline-based integration for
media, like Simpson's rule, or is it a new spline type? Or something
else?

> 2) Given a density mass, the user can specify a threshold and an
> epsilon, so that all the values below threshold-epsilon are clamped
> to zero and and those between threshold to threshold-epsilon are
> smoothly interpolated towards zero. This is basically to get
> different shapes with the same density volume without getting any
> artifiacts due to truncation by a threshold.

I'm not sure of what use this is. It sounds fairly trivial to do with a
function pattern.

> 3)  Use of temperature instead of density to specify the color of the media.

How is this different from just using a density pattern and density map?
Sounds like just a multiplier for the density color...

> Adding perlin noise to the color values to simulate the details.

Could you explain further? Are you adjusting the final computed values,
some kind of 2D modulation of the media?

> I am new to the open source community and not quite sure of the
> procudures involved in here. But surely if these features are useful
> to others I will be glad to clean them up first and share it with
> others.

Well, first, POV isn't open source. ;-)
The source code is available, and it is allowed for you to distribute
modified versions, but there are more restrictions than what you get in
a "true Open Source" license.
Just clearly mark the locations of your changes/additions, and
distribute the modified files, or if the patch is simple enough, the
modified portions and instructions on where to put them. It'd be a good
idea to follow the MegaPOV conventions...that's about as standard as it
gets. More info here:
http://megapov.inetart.net/manual/internals.html

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>