POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : placing light sources : Re: placing light sources Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:26:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: placing light sources
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 8 Aug 2003 10:37:41
Message: <cjameshuff-27DAA5.09345108082003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <MPG.199d670bbcc1d94f989687@news.povray.org>,
 HermanS <her### [at] pandorabeinvalid> wrote:

> I'm using Povray mostly to represent mathematically defined objects
> (images and animations). In many cases I have a lot of trouble to place
> light sources in an adequate way.
> Is there a method for placing light sources in a rather general way or
> to use ambient light or radiosity to obtain a first idea of the
> raytraced objects?

Put this line at the beginning of the scene:

#default {finish {ambient 0 diffuse 1}}

And now put a dim, shadowless light at the camera location. Instead of
dim, flat, directionless ambient lighting, you are now using a fill
light. This will help contrast and shading a great deal...without this
camera light, you can easily end up with areas with no direct lighting,
and without radiosity they will look very flat. Finally, if I'm trying
to show off a single object instead of lighting a scene, I generally put
a bright light to the upper left rear, and a dimmer light either or both
to the right and behind the object.

For realistic lighting, you need radiosity, which will simulate light
coming to a point indirectly by bouncing off other surfaces. With
radiosity, you can reduce or eliminate the fill light. It takes more
adjustment though, and isn't necessary for a mathematical plot.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/