POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Save photon map as an image? : Re: Save photon map as an image? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:28:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Save photon map as an image?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 12 Feb 2004 16:04:31
Message: <cjameshuff-0F170B.16045212022004@news.povray.org>
In article <Xns948DB6C063518seed7@news.povray.org>,
 ingo <ing### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

> > A photon map is a 3d data structure,
>
> Not related to the thread, but would this mean that the datastructure
> could be converted in a density_file (df3)?

Not as a DF3 file. DF3's store uncompressed, filled voxel data. An 8x8x8
DF3 contains 512 voxels, each at a specific point in an 8x8x8 3D
lattice. Technically you could create a voxel field from the photon
data, but you wouldn't be able to store it...it'd be too big at any
reasonable resolution, or blurred out at too low a resolution to be of
any use. A 256x256x256 resolution voxel field would consume 16MB at one
byte per voxel. 1024x1024x1024 with 24-bit RGB? 3GB. And in a field 10
units on a side, that's a distance of just under 0.01 between photons.

Now, I'm working on an extended density format that allows sparse data,
storing the location and value of each point rather than a value for
every possible point. The files would be big, and there would be loss in
location precision due to the use of integer coordinates, but it would
be far more practical. Unfortunately, there currently are no programs
capable of reading or writing this format, and the format itself isn't
fully defined...I'll be starting a thread in *.programming on the
subject soon.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/