POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Turning squares into a smooth isosurface : Re: Turning squares into a smooth isosurface Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:12:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Turning squares into a smooth isosurface
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 9 Apr 2003 17:18:08
Message: <cjameshuff-0676C1.17170909042003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <tlf89vcm9395bv5tg1oo3npqf4i08pve9n@4ax.com>,
 ABX <abx### [at] abxartpl> wrote:

> http://www.google.com/search?q=%22proximity+means+distance%22
> http://www.google.com/search?q=%22proximity+is+distance%22

Not sure what you expect these to turn up. A lack of results is not
surprising, they are very badly formed search queries.

This is better:
http://www.google.com/search?q=proximity+definition

> I'm not english master. Not even advanced amateur. Can you provide me a
> reference to definition that proximity is distance? There is no 'distance' in
> http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=proximity

"The state, quality, sense, or fact of being near or next; closeness:"

Look up "closeness":
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=closeness

"immediate nearness"

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=nearness

Nothing about being blurred, smoothed, or fuzzed out. It's all about
distance, viewed as how near something is rather than how far it is.

> > If you did something like
> > one of those, it was a proximity function
> > (...)
> > But it has nothing to do with proximity.
>
> Hmmm. Two different opinions about the same usage of f_r().

For two different uses. One being a proximity function, the other being
a weighting for convolution samples, in which case the most likely use
is for proximity to the center of the convolution matrix, which is
independant of the input data.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/