POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : temporally coherent noise? : Re: temporally coherent noise? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:20:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: temporally coherent noise?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 12 Feb 2004 08:01:37
Message: <cjameshuff-034960.08020112022004@news.povray.org>
In article <402b0c92@news.povray.org>,
 "Maurya Shah" <mau### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> I tried to review some literature about Perlin noise and it seems that if
> the noise has to varied smoothly both in space and time then I feel the use
> of advected textures is the only way out.

This is not so. There is a 4D variant of Perlin noise which does exactly
that, varying in time as it varies along x, y, and z. In fact, Perlin
noise can be extended to any number of dimensions, though I doubt more
than 4 is very useful. Ah, SlimePOV has an implementation:
http://www.slimeland.com/slimepov/

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/