POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Object Oriented POV code : Re: Object Oriented POV code Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:16:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Object Oriented POV code
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 24 Feb 2004 22:30:49
Message: <cjameshuff-01630D.22313524022004@news.povray.org>
In article <403C146F.38604E10@tag.povray.org>,
 Ken <ken### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

> How much program bloat will it add and how many people will be served by
> it? If it's just to provide a new toy, for a few dedicated programming
> enthusiasts, rather than to act as a significant improvement for the
> mainstream user, I don't think it is worth the effort.

Honestly, it won't add much bloat. And everyone who uses POV will be
served by it, even if they don't use the features directly. It would
make it easier for the programmer types to create extensions for POV
(lens flares, for example), and make those extensions easier to use.

About the bloat issue: actually, it would be a good idea to replace the
parser completely rather than trying to wedge OO features into this one,
in which case the result could be much faster and more efficient than
the present parser. And remember that non-programmers do use the work
that programming enthusiasts create. The main point of object
orientation is to make it possible to have a simple way to use complex
things, without caring about the guts.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/