POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Turbulence : Re: Turbulence Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:21:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Turbulence
From: Chris Huff
Date: 23 Feb 2000 06:19:59
Message: <chrishuff_99-CA0D72.06212123022000@news.povray.org>
In article <38B3B2DA.DB38919D@pacbell.net>, lin### [at] povrayorg
wrote:

> Actually I wasn't thinking of just any pattern type.
>
> For example - turbulence 0.25 bozo - was not what I had in mind though
> it does present some interesting possiblities.
>
> Instead I was thinking something more along the lines of
>
> turbulence 0.25 ramp_wave
>
> With this type of predefined turbulence modifier the octaves etc. should
> work as they do now. The real problem is that I am probably thinking two
> dimensionally and this may be impossible to implement in a 3D pattern.

The "waveforms" are 1 dimensional-a value goes in, gets changed a bit,
and comes back out. When the two sets of values are graphed, they form
different waveforms. I think of it as an equivalent to certain types of
filters in electronics.
Maybe something I was thinking about when trying to come up with ways to
make blurred reflections/transparence directional would be useful: a
"tri-pattern", consisting of 3 patterns each with an optional waveform
modifier(which is actually part of the pattern in the source) and a
multiplier(or maybe two numbers indicating a range for the pattern), one
for each dimension. A triangle wave turbulence would pe something like
this: turbulence 0.25 < solid 0 0, gradient x 1, solid 0 0>(notice that
this uses my solid pattern). I had abandoned this idea since it would
require evaluating 3 different patterns for every point(possibly slowing
things down) and would probably be difficult to control.

Maybe we just need a turbulence family of warps, each of them being a
variation of turbulence.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom