POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : 2 questions : Re: 2 questions Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:20:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 2 questions
From: Chris Huff
Date: 3 Mar 2000 07:22:31
Message: <chrishuff_99-697792.07240703032000@news.povray.org>
In article <38BFAAEE.4B962461@psu.edu>, Paul Daniel Jones
<pdj### [at] psuedu> wrote:

> 1) What is the best way to light a scene containing a lot of glass. ie:
> drinking glasses with liquid etc. I have tried multiple light sources
> (point lights and area lights) but just cant seem to get it right. The
> scene is either too light or two dark and the glasses all have very dark
> regions in them. Should I encase the whole thing in a box or sphere to
> increase the amount of ambient light?

It sounds like you don't have max_trace_level high enough. Check out
global settings and max_trace_level in the manual, it basically tells
POV how many levels it can go into the scene, too few will cause
disappearing reflections and dark areas. If this is the problem, it
won't disappear no matter how many light sources you use.
Try adding this to the beginning of the scene:
global_settings {
    max_trace_level 24// 7 is the default, this often needs to be
                      // increased in scenes with reflection or
                      // transparent objects
}

> 2) This is a silly question of sorts, must you put a semi-colon at the
> end of a declare statment? I always forget to, especially in multi-line
> declares, and everything works fine for me.

It is not required in the current version, but might be in a future
version. You had better get in the habit now, while the only problem it
causes is a warning.(if it happens in a loop, all those warnings can
also slow parsing down)

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom