POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Let the rivers flow : Re: Let the rivers flow Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:29:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Let the rivers flow
From: Chris Huff
Date: 15 Jun 2000 10:26:43
Message: <chrishuff-FA0D9E.09305715062000@news.povray.org>
In article <394249e2@news.povray.org>, "kane"
<ann### [at] mindspringcom> wrote:

> Hi all, as part of a project I'm working on, I'm trying to create a
> macro in either Pov or MegaPov that will create a river of sorts, a
> line of objects on a hf.
>   You'd just enter in the x,y,z of where it should start, and the macro
> would then place an object there, then determine the next lowest
> point, right next to the previous objects location, and place another
> object, until it has either reached a predetermined length , reached
> the edge of the object, or has reached a pool, or bottom where there
> is no more lower points.

I have done something similar to this...I made a particle with mass and
affected by gravity and used multiple calls to trace() to make the
height field repel it. The particles kind of hover and bounce around the
height field until they find a low area with no slope or go over the
edge. To make the height field repel the particles, I simply used a
bunch of trace() calls pointed from the particles current position in
random directions.
I might still have the source code somewhere...I could look for it and
post it if you are interested.

Personal Web page: http://chrishuff.dhs.org/
TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/