POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Memory questions... : Re: Memory questions... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:20:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memory questions...
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 29 Mar 2002 15:43:56
Message: <chrishuff-F31D9C.15444729032002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <mbd### [at] linuxlocal>,
 Felix Wiemann <Fel### [at] gmxnet> wrote:

> Why isn't that possible? Where is the difference to storing mesh data?
> (This is not a feature request, just a question :) )

It is possible, it would just require redesigning and rewriting the
code. Since a rewrite is planned already for POV-Ray 4.0, there isn't
much point in doing it for 3.5.
One of the possible problems is that the parts of a union are
individually transformable objects, while mesh data is a bunch of points
that are never changed. When transforming a union, I think the current
version of POV transforms the individual objects contained in it.
Storing a reference to the data would mean no union could modify the
data, so would have to store its own transforms. Slightly slower.
A better solution might be a proxy or clone object that is simply a
wrapper for a pointer to another object and some object-specific
information. That way, you could use this object to get
copy-by-reference when necessary without the speed penalty for normal
use.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/