POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Question about normals : Re: Question about normals Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:17:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question about normals
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 15 Nov 2002 21:55:11
Message: <chrishuff-DCA76E.21542715112002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3dd5ac26$1@news.povray.org>, "Slime" <slm### [at] slimelandcom>
wrote:

> I thought, at first, that I could apply the inverse of the matrix
> transformation to the normal, but then I realized that this wouldn't work in
> all cases.

You are correct. The answer is pretty simple: transform the normal by
the transpose of the inverse of the transformation matrix.
Ok, it's simple assuming you know some matrix math. ;-)

This should explain things a bit more thoroughly:
http://www1.acm.org/pubs/tog/resources/RTNews/html/rtnews1a.html#art4

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/