POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Clouds : Re: Clouds Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:27:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Clouds
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 7 Mar 2002 12:51:04
Message: <chrishuff-D937E0.12511407032002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3c86964e$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Chris Becker" <cmb### [at] ritedu> wrote:

> The reason I used stacked planes is that it was a very simple idea and I was
> just exploring how well it works. I can see that it does have its
> limitations due to how close you can get and a limit of 256 recursion depth
> (at least on  Windows 98). The one thing I found that was really great was
> that I could use the 'object' pattern and actually model a cloud and then
> you the turbulence modefier to make it wavy and such which produced some
> very nice results.

This is at least as easy with media density, just use the object pattern
with turbulence.

> Also, with the stacked plains and the 'filter' color, you can light
> the cloud and it will actually shadow itself like a gas really does.

This is automatic with scattering media. Media doesn't have problems
with recursion limits, and you don't need as many samples in the first
place because they are spaced differently, more like planes
perpendicular to the camera.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/