POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Media photons : Re: Media photons Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:23:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media photons
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 25 Sep 2002 12:39:43
Message: <chrishuff-CD3992.12370925092002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3d91daf6@news.povray.org>,
 "Andrew Coppin" <orp### [at] btinternetcom> wrote:

> So I was wondering... Is the media photons feature supposed to work?
> Or did they implement it so that in 10 years' time there will be
> computers powerful enough to do it? My machine is a 1.4GHz AMD with
> 256MB of RAM - hardly low spec!

They work and are useable. The demo file optics.pov was designed on a
"blue and white" Power Mac G3 at 350MHz with 384MB RAM. They are highly
memory intensive though...storing photons throughout a volume takes a
lot more photons than storing on a surface. It might be your tank is
just too big. The blackout sounds odd too...did you get the media
looking good before you tried photons? The number of photons won't
really affect brightness, just the fineness of detail in the caustics.
You definitely need to reduce the number of media photons if it is so
hard for your machine. Buying more RAM wouldn't be a bad idea either.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/