POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Varible IOR? : Re: Varible IOR? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:23:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Varible IOR?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 6 Sep 2002 12:12:12
Message: <chrishuff-C37682.12113906092002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <web.3d778571bc15a3b5c80208b00@news.povray.org>,
 "MikeTheGuru" <mik### [at] gmxat> wrote:

> But the old usage of variable ior could make some very nice scenes. Why
> don't (re-)implement [I'm sure the old code isn't completely erased out of
> the world ;-)] the old version of ior and naming it e.g.
> 'irreal-ior'? So you would have all we want:

Re-implementing surface-variable ior using old code would be
unlikely...I'd do it by allowing a function to be specified for the ior
value, and some sampling parameters that would allow it to just be
perturbed at the surface or actually sampled through space, just for
when computers eventually get fast enough to make it useful.
I don't know why you don't just use normal peturbation though...most
refracting objects won't show much of a difference in surface shading,
but normal perturbation does affect refraction.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/