POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Volume-preserving blob : Re: Volume-preserving blob Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:22:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Volume-preserving blob
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 12 Oct 2002 21:30:53
Message: <chrishuff-B5ED6C.21254712102002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3DA894B0.9FCA901F@dcs.gla.ac.uk>,
 John Williamson <wil### [at] dcsglaacuk> wrote:

> Hmm, I'm not sure, but is this not because the blob density function is
> quadratic? If the blob function was exponential (e.g a mixture of
> Gaussian components), wouldn't the second derivative be continuous? e.g
> isosurface with a function like
> f_gauss = function(x,y,z) { 1.0 - exp(-(x*x + y*y + z*z)/2.0) }

Maybe, but the root solver algorithm might not be able to use that
equation. A method more like the isosurface primitive wouldn't have any
problem though...but you would have to use things like max_gradient
instead of sturm. It might be faster though...

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/