POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Random variation : Re: Random variation Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:15:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random variation
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 27 Sep 2002 09:53:57
Message: <chrishuff-AD0865.09511027092002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3d9434b1@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
wrote:

>   Then it's a rather poor random number generator, I must say.
>   In a good random number generator, any combination of two numbers (including
> the same number twice) should be about equally probable.
>   Of course this is a very difficult issue.

I don't think this alone makes it so bad, its other characteristics seem
fair. Not great, but not horrible. It is an extremely simple algorithm,
I posted the code earlier in this thread.
If you want a really good generator, the Mersene Twister might be
suitable...I've heard good things about it, and wrote an implementation
of it that seems to work fine.

>   I wonder if an approach like the drand48() function would be better.

What approach would that be?

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/