POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Lens flares without third party addons : Re: Lens flares without third party addons Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:26:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lens flares without third party addons
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 29 Jul 2002 10:10:29
Message: <chrishuff-A4D575.09032529072002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3d4518a0@news.povray.org>, "Simon Adameit" <gom### [at] gmxde>
wrote:

> But imho lensflares aren't caustics but multiple specular reflections of a
> light source.
> So why do you need photons to simulate them?

Most surfaces wouldn't be directly exposed to the light, so they would
either be in shadow or be getting transmitted light that should have
been refracted or reflected. Highlights alone won't do the job, they
will always look as though they come from light directly from the light
source.

However, I never heard about doing it with photons...my idea of the
technique was always to put a very small reflection on the lens and make
a very bright object or a glow at the light position. That would
simulate all the refraction and reflection and doesn't need photons.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/