POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Random number generator needed ! : Re: Random number generator needed ! Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:21:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random number generator needed !
From: Chris Huff
Date: 20 Feb 2001 22:05:15
Message: <chrishuff-9D830E.22043620022001@news.povray.org>
In article <3a92f00e@news.povray.org>, "Rune" <run### [at] inamecom>
wrote:

> There are many reasons. For example I want my particle system to be
> frame-independent, so that the even the randomness of the particles
> is the same independent on the frame-rate used. I also need it for
> the cyclic animation feature where the whole calculation process is
> basically run through several times, and where the random numbers
> must be the same each time.

If I understand this correctly, you may want to try separating your
render frames from your calculation frames...do a fixed number of
iterations for a specific time period (for example, always compute 500
iterations by the time clock reaches 1), and you will get the same
result. Of course, it won't work very well if you use more frames than
iterations, but you might be able to work out an interpolation method to
save computation time and get reasonably good results.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><