POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Need help with rand/seed : Re: Need help with rand/seed Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:25:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Need help with rand/seed
From: Chris Huff
Date: 14 Jul 2000 16:43:55
Message: <chrishuff-94F1F7.15441914072000@news.povray.org>
In article <01bfed13$18efe640$1a1ba1d0@mk>, "CreeD" <meshe@nqi.net>
wrote:

> Sorry to sound overly whiny about the documentation.  Please don't
> take my comments on it personally if you had a hand in creating it.

Don't worry, I wasn't taking it personally...and this portion of the
documentation probably existed long before I had ever heard of POV.

> I don't have any particular aversion to programming terms, and I'm
> sure I'll pick them up over time (or be forced to actively seek to
> learn them).
>
> 	Still, I feel that the latter bit of writing that you insist is only
> 'different, but not better' than the documentation -IS- better.  If the
> documentation is being done well, it balances
> A.The need to get the point across clearly and concisely and
> B: The writer's need to sleep.

Actually, I thought my description was repetitive, a bit imprecise in
areas, as well as very long-winded, and highly redundant in areas(almost
as redundant as the adjectives I am using to describe it in this
sentence). :-)
If I really wanted to explain this at such a basic level, I would draw
pictures and make an HTML document...and if this was done for the whole
manual...

Anyway...when you are looking for this kind of information, and you know
the terminology, this kind of long-winded explanation is a burden, not a
help. Imagine having to wade through pages of useless information to
find one little piece of information ("The numbers are uniformly
distributed, and have values between 0.0  and 1.0, inclusively.", for
example). My bit of writing might have been better for a dedicated
tutorial, but this is a basic language reference.

For the people who need help understanding this type of thing, there is
all the information you need on these newsgroups, in sample scenes, or
on the web. You just have to listen, and try to understand the
terminology...most of it is quite logical once you understand *why* a
term is used. It isn't some magical capability you are born with or need
to study books to learn. (Though books can help...unfortunately, I can't
afford many. :-( )

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/