POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : The Harcore Povrayer Test : Re: Improved test Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:24:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Improved test
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 1 Feb 2002 00:30:11
Message: <chrishuff-9416FA.00312201022002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3c59d5b6@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
wrote:

>   Ok, I tried to make the test more rational and also divide it into more
> readable sections. What do you think? What is your new score?
>
>   The maximum score (this time I think it's reachable) is 66.
>   I myself got a score of 48. (Ok, perhaps the test got a bit biased
> torwards my own knowledge, but I tried to keep it as unbiased as possible;
> judge by yourself :) )

I also got 48, not counting the ones mentioned below.

> * You've written your own include file and distributed it on the net. It has
>   got some popularity.

Well...I've done a lot of work on the scene and include file collections
for 3.5, and I once released a macro collection, though nobody ever used
it...

> * It's very easy to you to make slope maps and actually you often use
>   them to make your textures.

No...if I need that much control of surface features, I generally use
isosurfaces. ;-)

> * You know if some special feature is already implemented in the POV-Ray 3.5
>   standard include files (and thus you know you don't have to implement it
>   yourself).

I think I'll refrain from answering this one...

> * You have used the quadric, cubic, quartic or poly primitives.

Nope, I stick to isosurfaces. That count? I think it should...

> * You have used poly objects bigger than 4th degree.

I've used polynomials of greater than 4th degree in isosurfaces...

Hmm...you know how to do real blurred reflection, you can get the media
parameters right on the first try (or first few tries), you know the
difference between using a colored transparent texture and using
fade_color or media, you can explain why using a mesh is better than a
union of triangles, you've run into the "patterned textures in layered
textures" error, you've reached the depth limit in recursive macros, you
have used the POV-Ray scene description language for purposes which have
nothing to do with scene description...

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/