POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : True Area Light Source : Re: True Area Light Source Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:25:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: True Area Light Source
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 5 Dec 2002 20:13:14
Message: <chrishuff-8E85E2.20101005122002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3defdecb@news.povray.org>,
 "Anthony D'Agostino" <sco### [at] spamEcsicom> wrote:

> If this is true, then spheres are self-shadowing?

Only perfectly flat objects (plane, triangle, disc, polygon...) are not
self shadowing. Any object that has a shadow line will have a slightly
different one with an area light. (ignore boxes and linear spline prisms
are self shadowing but only the shading of the surfaces will be
different)

> I understand, but is this also true if I remove the area_light altogether,
> use ambient 1 for the geometry of the light only, and render with GI on?
> This seems to produce results that are less accurate than with area_light.

That is because radiosity itself is either inaccurate or slow. Doing
that is more of a trick that abuses the radiosity feature...each
algorithm is better at different things.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/