POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Air resistance : Re: Air resistance Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:15:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Air resistance
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 1 Oct 2002 20:19:40
Message: <chrishuff-8AC9DA.20165501102002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3D99E375.D3F91328@gmx.de>,

> In the general case the force generated by air resistance is a quite
> complicated function of the speed.  At low speeds it can be approximated
> by a force proportional to the speed (the first of the cited formulas).

Air pressure, turbulence, surface material, object geometry, air and
surface temperature...

A water drop will get a different amount of resistance than an
equivalently sized hailstone, they have very different surfaces, one
hard and rigid, the other smooth but deformable, rippling and flowing. A
square piece of cloth stretched over a frame can fly high into the air,
the same cloth without the frame will flutter and experience large
amounts of drag. A golfball will have a very different trajectory than a
perfectly smooth ball of identical size and weight. I don't want to
think about a vaporizing meteor.

You just need to figure out how complex your simulation needs to be, how
good of an approximation you want...a linear function might do the job
just fine.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/