POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Question on photons and dispersion. : Re: Question on photons and dispersion. Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:24:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question on photons and dispersion.
From: Chris Huff
Date: 6 Aug 2000 18:05:01
Message: <chrishuff-5EF1DB.17060006082000@news.povray.org>
In article <01bfffdd$d34a9940$b913a1d0@mk>, "CreeD" <meshe@nqi.net>
wrote:

> Good looking would be fine.  Physically, I would imagine that the
> shadow wouldn't look so dark anyway, but I've never sat in a darkened
> room with a spotlight and a crystal ball, and until I do, I'm just
> full of conjecture.

This is realistic for the situation of one point light. When light is
refracted, *all* of it is refracted, none of it gets past without having
it's path bent. This means the edges of the shadow, where the light is
being refracted away, will be black.
You usually don't see this in real life, because diffusely reflected
light illuminates the shadow(both directly and indirectly, through the
refracting object), and you usually have more than one light source. You
should get more realistic effects by using more lights and radiosity.

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/