POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : A Question about water : Re: A Question about water Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:14:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Question about water
From: Chris Huff
Date: 11 Dec 2000 18:03:03
Message: <chrishuff-523B03.18035711122000@news.povray.org>
In article <3a2f9fa7@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
wrote:

>   However, if the final image will look almost exactly the same
> independently of whether a normal modifier or an isosurface was used,
> then my opinion is that small and simple is beatiful.

Well, even a smooth isosurface with a simple spiral normal would look
better than a torus, in my opinion anyway. The shape of the function I
posted is quite different from a torus, and to me looks more like a
whirlpool.
Also, you can get better looking spiral waves with an isosurface
function. Small and simple may be beautiful, but realism counts too.

>   Rendering speed may be another issue. Which one renders faster, a
> spiral normal modifier or an isosurface?

If you use a torus CSG, the torus would almost definitely be faster
compared to the function I gave. If you used a lathe or sor...you might
have to use the isosurface just to avoid the artifacts. :-)

--
Christopher James Huff

<><