POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : How to read an image pixel by pixel, and a question : Re: How to read an image pixel by pixel, and a question Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:14:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to read an image pixel by pixel, and a question
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 15 Nov 2002 13:01:01
Message: <chrishuff-4E41F1.13003115112002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <web.3dd4d018eff8868284f6eaf50@news.povray.org>,
 "normdoering" <nor### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> You might want to try it yourself before you guess. There's more getting
> stored in memory than the picture. When I did my picture at full resolution
> it took over an hour and there were things coming up like "vista buffer,"
> "light buffer," etc. I don't quite know what those are.... but those are
> spheres I'm using not pixels.

It wasn't a guess, it was a calculation, finding the number of pixels
and multiplying by the size used for each one. Using spheres will of
course use more memory...I didn't go far enough up the thread to find
out spheres were being used.
But I have done similar things. One particular scene swapped out over
200MB to disk on this system, with 384MB RAM. It can get impractically
slow, but shouldn't crash.

The vista and light buffers are to optimize camera and light rays, so
they only test objects that might be hit. They do take a fairly large
amount of memory, especially in this type of scene with lots of objects,
but you can turn them off.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/