POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : need help with threads (for bolts & such) : Re: need help with threads (for bolts & such) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:22:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: need help with threads (for bolts & such)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 6 Dec 2000 17:13:31
Message: <chrishuff-398EA9.17141706122000@news.povray.org>
In article <c03t2ts9rc1r7ar0n3f5deje6aoh5pkmmb@4ax.com>, Defective
<def### [at] homecom> wrote:

> Somewhere, long ago, I seem to recall seeing a macro for creating
> threads.  Now that I'm working on something with threaded parts, I
> can't find it and my own attempts at threading just don't work.

Well, I can't help with the macro, but threads are usually done with
either a triangle mesh, a CSG with lots of small objects chopping away
at or adding to a larger one in a spiral, or by using the parametric or
isosurface objects in MegaPOV.

Using a parametric or isosurface would be the most memory efficient
method, and can give smooth results. They can be slow, but that wouldn't
be a problem unless the threaded part covers a large area of the final
image.

It can be hard to get smooth shapes with the CSG technique, you have to
use a large number of shapes to get it right, and it can be slow and
memory consuming.

Meshes could be pretty fast and could be generated automatically with a
macro, but can have visible "facets" if you don't use a high enough
resolution, and can't be used in CSG (using CSG with meshes works in
MegaPOV, but it isn't very reliable yet). Though they can use a lot of
memory, copies of a mesh can use very little additional memory, because
they can share data. Because screws and bolts have a very repetitive
shape, a macro could make a basic "thread" shape like a short segment of
a bolt, and use groups of these scaled and translated to make the actual
screws/bolts very efficiently. That way, there would only be one basic
"building block" that all the bolts in the scene could be constructed
from, possibly saving a lot of memory.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><