POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : True Area Light Source : Re: True Area Light Source Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:28:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: True Area Light Source
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 5 Dec 2002 10:13:54
Message: <chrishuff-389403.10105205122002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <web.3def10d4836ceb7115e7f0160@news.povray.org>,
 "Alex" <ale### [at] alphacit> wrote:

> To simulate illumination from an area light, POVRay would have to perform
> the whole illumination calculation for each of the shadow rays used to test
> for occlusion.
>
> This would mean a (probably) large increase in rendering time and complexity
> of the code, altough a crude hack coud involve entirely special casing area
> ligths.

One possible alternative I can think of would be to use a separate
resolution for the illumination calculation and shadow calculation. In
most cases, you only need lots of samples to get smooth shadows, you
should be able to get away with much less for the illumination.

Another odd idea is this: the lighting calculations depend on the angle
of the normal to a point (a simplification), the center of the light
source. Instead, use the angle to either a disk, line, or rectangle, if
the normal points inside the light the angle is 0. No sampling, so it
would be faster than shooting rays though slower than a point
approximation. It won't work properly in partial shadow, but should be
closer to reality than the point approximation.

Ideally, you would be able to choose which you wanted: true area light,
point, line, disk, or rectangle approximations.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/