POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Tetrahedron Macro that uses Prism primative : Re: Tetrahedron Macro that uses Prism primative Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:19:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tetrahedron Macro that uses Prism primative
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 17 Dec 2002 16:31:50
Message: <chrishuff-29F656.16265717122002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3DFF8126.37A7E1BE@hotmail.com>,
 Dan Johnson <zap### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> I think you are right.  I don't think it would be too hard to make a
> macro to do that either.  Now I guess the next thing is to find the
> smallest oriented bounding box, and see which one is smaller.  If one is
> always smaller.

I am almost certain the box is always smaller. The optimal sphere
bounding is a circumscribed sphere around a regular tetrahedron. The
optimal box bounding of that tetrahedron would have each corner of the
tetrahedron at a corner of the box, the least optimal (I think) would
have two edges of the tetrahedron against opposing faces of the box,
parallel to different axii (the best case, rotated 45 degrees around one
axis).

For a regular tetrahedron with 1-unit edges, the best bounding sphere
has a radius of sqrt(3)/sqrt(8) (~0.612), the best-case box a
2/sqrt(8)-unit (~0.707) cube, the worst-case box a 1x1x2/sqrt(8)
(1x1x~0.707) box. The sphere has a volume of 0.96 units^3, the cube
0.353 units^3, and the box 0.707 units^3.

For optimal bounding of irregular tetrahedrons, both will be less
efficient, but I think a box will always be better. Even if the
tetrahedron is a thin rod along a diagonal of the box (the worst case),
the sphere will have a larger volume (having a diameter about equal to
the length of the diagonal of the box).

This is for axis-aligned boxes, if you use oriented boxes the bounding
of a regular tetrahedron or some irregular tetrahedrons (those you can
get by applying an affine transformation to a regular tetrahedron) is
always the best case, for other tetrahedrons it still improves.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/